Lawrence Peter Berra was born on May 12th, 1925 in St. Louis, MO. Berra began playing baseball in local American Legion leagues where he learned to throw and catch. While playing in American Legion, he received the nickname “Yogi” from his friend Jack Maguire. Jack thought Berra resembled a Hindu Yogi whenever he sat around with arms and legs crossed waiting to bat or after games if they lost. It’s safe to say, the nickname stuck.
From that point on, the legend of Yogi Berra began. Yogi played 19 seasons in the MLB, he was an 18-time All-Star and won 10 World Series Championships as a player. He is considered to be one of the greatest catchers to ever play the game and was elected into Cooperstown in 1972. However, with all that being said, Yogi Berra is better known for his unique spin on the English language. The wordsmith dished out some memorable quotes throughout his career, so JustBats.com takes a look at the ten best.Here are the Top 10 Best Yogi Berra Quotes based on player feedback.
10. Little League baseball is a very good thing because it keeps the parents off the streets.
9. You wouldn't have won if we'd beaten you.
8. Pair up in threes.
7. The future ain't what it used to be. (Yogi later clarified, saying, "I just meant that times are different. Not necessarily better or worse, just different.")
6. It's like déjà vu all over again.
5. Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't go to yours.
4. It ain’t over till it’s over.
3. When you come to a fork in the road, take it.
2. You can observe a lot by watching.
1. Baseball is ninety percent mental and the other half is physical.
Berra's impromptu comments are now known as Yogi-isms. Sometimes these Yogi-isms took the form of contradiction, but often with an underlying and powerful message that offered more than just humor, but wisdom. Did we miss your favorite Yogi Berra quote? Throw it in the comments below!
If you have any baseball bat or softball bat questions, please give our Customer Coaches a call at 1-866-321-2287, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or click here to live chat with our bat experts. And remember, we are always here for you from Click to Hit!